Help! / Contact your librarian


Who am I?

My job is to support students, staff and courses from health-related subjects. I am responsible for the budgets for these subjects, making sure that we buy the best resources we can for the money we have. I am also available to help with questions on library and information-related areas. Whether you are having trouble using the catalogue, need some advice on internet searching, want to know more about databases or are stuck with referencing, I am the person to ask!

I also run training sessions when asked by academics from the courses I support, and am often involved with modules on research skills or evidence-based practice. Part of my role in the library is to coordinate these sorts of activities, and I am being trained on learning and teaching myself - I know what it's like to be a student and have to submit assignments!

When I'm not here, my interests include theatre and literature. I have an MA in Literature, where I specialised in the 18th-century novel, but my tastes are very broad!

Contact me!

Students are welcome either to come and see me in the Library or send me an e-mail via the Contact Your Librarian form (select Health!). You can also telephone me on 01634 883446 (I do not have voicemail, I'm afraid).

If you need to contact the Library in general the main contact details are available from the Drill Hall web pages.

Recent Tweets from my Twitter feed can be seen on the right. This often includes some general updates about the Drill Hall Library as well as subject-specific information such as the newest books in stock, new resources you might find useful and details of workshops and drop-in sessions I run. If you're on Twitter, you can follow me on @dhldavidb. The Drill Hall also has an account - @drillhalllib, and also has a Facebook page.

Study skills

If you need help with study skills in general, including academic writing, then help is available from your university :

Canterbury Christ Church University students should contact the i-zone in Cathedral Court, who can put you in touch with the study skills advisors. Useful web resources from CCCU include :

  • Student Support Services - includes Student Study Support
  • Graduate Skills - many resources to help with all sorts of key university skills
  • Turnitin - details about the 'plagiarism detection' software CCCU uses
  • For referencing (including Harvard and Vancouver styles), see the Referencing tab in Blackboard

University of Greenwich students should contact the Study Skills team in the Blake building. Useful web resources from the University of Greenwich include :

  • Study Skills - resources, plus contact details for the Study Skills Team
  • Referencing
  • Progression in Information Skills - an online course accessible via the Portal and Moodle, covering how to find quality information, avoid plagiarism, cite your references and much more

University of Kent students should contact SLAS (Student Learning and Advisory Service), who have an office in the Drill Hall Library. Useful resources from the University of Kent include :

Students from all 3 universities can see our resident Royal Literary Fund fellow. They are based in an office in the Drill Hall Library two days a week and can offer useful, confidential advice on writing skills.

Library resources for study skills

You will also find lots of helpful books on study skills in the Library. Have a browse through books at these numbers:

  • 001.42 - general research skills
  • 025.04 - internet research
  • 025.0661 - the internet for health
  • 378.170281 - higher education study skills
  • 808.066 - academic writing skills, including referencing and avoiding plagiarism
  • 808.06661 - writing skills for health students
  • 808.51 - giving presentations

Guidance for using databases

I can help (in person or by email) with the use of specific databases for your searching. You may also find this Prezi, which goes through the fundamental principles of using big databases, useful. [Best viewed at full-screen size, using the button at the bottom right].

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License